Semester of entry: Fall
In addition to the general admission requirements of the VCU Graduate School, the following requirements represent the minimum acceptable standards for admission:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a degree in a discipline that provides an appropriate background for graduate-level study in oral biology e.g. biology, chemistry, bioengineering, dentistry
Graduation with a dental degree (B.D.S. or D.D.S) from an accredited college or university
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or higher is required.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit satisfactory scores from a standardized test commonly used and deemed appropriate for evaluation of English language proficiency, such as the TOEFL. These scores should be 80 minimum for internet based tests, 213 minimum for computer based tests and 550 minimum for paper based tests.
- Personal statements, which should include: long-term career goals to assess reasons behind the candidate’s application; how a Ph.D. in biomedical science helps achieve those goals; the factors motivating a career in research; research experience, including dates, places and duration
- A current resume or curriculum vita is required
- Three letters of recommendation that speak to the scientific competency and experience of the applicant
Applicants are encouraged to submit complete applications as early as possible. Early applications are given interview priority and incomplete applications may not be considered.